Welcome to New Johto;
This is what remains of the region after the virus hit.
Undead pokemon lurk behind every corner, infest every city, haunt every cave.
Dark Days are Ahead...
Will you survive?

Staff

Suicune
Founding Admin
staff
Founding Admin
admin
Profile Admin
staff
Harb Mgt. Admin
staff
Harb & Shop Mgt. Admin

Background art was made by Fox. The Banner was made by Silverishness. Show them some love, yeah?

Pokemon © Nintendo
EpidemicJohto © 2011
All names, characters, plotline and artwork are under copyright protection of Epidemic Johto and their respective owners.
No distribution or reproduction without express permission is permitted.

Support our staff!

3 posters

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text?

Anonymous

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Empty Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text?

Post by Guest Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm

Basically I have gotten the idea to use some archaic/ancient Pokemon such as Kabutops,Yamask,Golurk,Claydol, Bronzong, ECT. And then another idea hit me.

Maybe they are so old that they don't even speak/understand commonplace "Poke-talk" or most forms of modern human language.

Basically I want to know if this is alright;

Is it alright if I where to have a Pokemon like that speak in Unowns? As in the text for it's speech would be the unown alphabet. I can understand that you guys are still doing the secret message unown pictures, so I am willing to make my own to use.

I think it'd be really cool to set up a language barrier like that, not to mention it would give the feel of the Pokemon speaking in a dialect almost incomprehensible.

================================================
    here is my custom Template ;

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Opsbv8

I can re-size them to appropriate size if needed. For some reason the They have been distorted to wrong size & resolution, each letter should be around 20 pixels tall and a mximum of 15 wide. But i can fix this, rest assured that they don't look this sloppy when they are appropriated pixel size/resolution.
    Suicune
    Suicune
    Administrator
    Administrator

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Empty Re: Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text?

Post by Suicune Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:02 am

This is a fascinating thought.
    The Unown are an ancient species, and I find it plausible that ancient pokemon may use this as a lost form of communication. (Of course, it will still be in the same english language, but perhaps heavy dialect or voice alteration would be suggested by the unown font)
    The Unowns themselves are based on the latin alphabet and doesn't stray too far into realms that would be difficult for other members to 'translate.'
    We could also provide an alphabetic chart in resources to assist in this instance.

It will be complicated and time consuming to do this, as it will have to be done via image editor. Text images would probably have to be fitted very carefully to the limits of the text box, which is about 500px wide. It also can't disrupt your posting time or the page formatting. (image words going past the limits and disappearing)I would not require everyone who has an ancient pokemon to do this, only those who wish to.

As of right now, no.
    The posts may get confused with the Unown contest, but perhaps after it is done, we can add this.
    I can also find an unown font that is consistent and easy to use for everyones' use if this is to be approved. If it is to be done, I would require everyone use the same font and type size, to keep the presentation of the RP clean and understandable. I would also require that the member using it has a basic knowledge of how to perform the necessary tasks on their own. This includes installing the font on the computer, typing up the message, then saving it as a transparent image.

Of course, this will need input and/or approval from all the admins.

Suicune
    Founding Admin

Anonymous

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Empty Re: Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text?

Post by Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:09 am

xD if i RPed with a pokemon that talked in an "Unknown-ish" accent, it'd make me want my character to be all, "Wha? What is this guy saying??? S-P-E-A-K N-O-R-M-A-L!" and be a bit of a bigot about it |D
    Mew
    Mew
    Legendary
    Legendary

Post by Mew Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:11 am

To quote end via skype:
    could you imagine it?
    you speak to a Golurk and all it says in response is
    "╬┘╬.⌡, ┘╬╬!!!"
    then attacks

Maintainence/Coding Admin
    Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Hz72hB2
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Lugia Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:01 am

Hmm. I'm a little more against this idea. How an Unown language would work would be a chorus of them speaking, or lining up in a sentence, presenting themselves to a viewer. This indicates immense power for the "speaker", something an ancient legend would use, or even Arceus. After all, a group of sentient beings is speaking for you. Not many normal pokemon get to that point.

I like the idea, don't get me wrong, but not for normal characters. There are also the kinks Sui mentioned in font size, which unown text to use, etc., but those are minor fixes.

I would vote no, to the public usage, regardless of the contest.

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Shadowlugiasig

Lugia
    Admin

"It's amazing how hard someone will fight for their underpants."

Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Suicune Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:26 pm

I'm voting this down now, on the grounds that canonically, it is questionable, and it would be way too difficult for members to actually integrate into posts.

It's an interesting idea, but I'll have to refuse it.
    Thanks for the idea though, keep them coming.

Suicune
    Founding Admin

Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:43 am

What about this;

Say a Sigilyph & Golurk are communicating as an example, and for their text i'd put;

-"╬╡╬.╰═╕, ╬╬╥"- ""These beings are relentless. We need to move the ______ to a safer location."" Echoed the Golurk as it spoke in a long forgotten tongue to the faded bulbous Pokemon accompanying it.

"┴╊╚,╨╥╤╠╣." ""Yes, we must move the ____ immediately."" Responded the ancient winged creature in the same seemingly incoherent gibberish.

=====================================
    You know, type in what would be interpreted as gibberish, [ their language] but then have a subsided translation of their communication. Could that be an acceptable method?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:59 am

I agree with Endgames idea. GHta way, people would know what is said, but it is in a different language.
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Lugia Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:18 am

I'd have to say no to that as well. It's a cool idea, but difficult for a uniform to be kept up with.

Question: Is it alright if I use unown for a character text? Shadowlugiasig

Lugia
    Admin

"It's amazing how hard someone will fight for their underpants."

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:35 am