Welcome to New Johto;
This is what remains of the region after the virus hit.
Undead pokemon lurk behind every corner, infest every city, haunt every cave.
Dark Days are Ahead...
Will you survive?

Staff

Suicune
Founding Admin
staff
Founding Admin
admin
Profile Admin
staff
Harb Mgt. Admin
staff
Harb & Shop Mgt. Admin

Background art was made by Fox. The Banner was made by Silverishness. Show them some love, yeah?

Pokemon © Nintendo
EpidemicJohto © 2011
All names, characters, plotline and artwork are under copyright protection of Epidemic Johto and their respective owners.
No distribution or reproduction without express permission is permitted.

Support our staff!

4 posters

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession

Anonymous

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession Empty Hidden Power, Language, and Possession

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:58 pm

I was wondering that, if I were to have my planned Eevee character know Psychic-type Hidden Power with base 70 power (that is the maximum power for Hidden Power in the Pokémon games), could she pick up things telekinetically? Her psychic powers would not be as powerful as those of true psychics, but maybe she could be able to pick up to, say, 60-70 lbs with it?

That way, she could pick up a pencil (or heavier things if need be) and learn how to write a single language from her master. She could also learn to speak it, if that is acceptable; the master is a professional linguist, so he knows many modern languages. She is with him for over 14 years before she loses him to the Epidemic, so she would have plenty of time to become fluent in a single Human language :3 At least by my standards, unless she still seems too young. She is very intelligent, especially for a Pokemon, and she is a gifted writer, artist, and storyteller, so it should be reasonable that she could learn a language.

Would it be fine if she were to be able to one pokemon at a time using her move as well, through telepathy? It would be limited to just one pokemon at once, and she would not be able to speak to them if they are too far away, since she is not a true psychic-type.

Oh, and I have one other question: Would it make sense if a Rotom were able to inhabit the body of--or possess--a Porygon-Z? A Porygon-Z is basically a tangible, sentient computer, so it makes sense to me that a Rotom would be able to do so. I am going to be a dual profile someday for these two Pokemon.

Last edited by WinterVeil on Thu May 03, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : FFFF so many edits D:)
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession Empty Re: Hidden Power, Language, and Possession

Post by Lugia Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:03 am

I'm going to be very honest with you-- I'm pretty iffy about any pokemon knowing Latin. At all. It is -and has been for quite some time- a dead language... There's no way for it to plausibly be passed down from generation to generation without human help-- and humans were the ones that forgot it in the first place. The Latin language isn't around today, really because it was split into French, Italian and Spanish, and later, English took from it as well. It is a root language now.

Now, I know you have your exceptions: religious factions (Catholicism in particular), law firmaments, etc., have passed down bits of the language through the centuries. I get that. But that's in our world, not in the pokemon regions. There've been little to no mentions of anything remotely Roman or Latin except for maybe Orre Colosseum, and that's kind of pushing it. There's no reason for it to be in this world, other than for novelty.

I know it's a cool idea, but really think about it: what does it bring to your character? What does it add? How does it help her in her struggle in this new world? What else -other than giving her a little color- does it do other than create a stretched, not very plausible back story? Please, I have an open mind, but there needs to be a good reason behind this.

A good reason and a good way of getting there. However, the way I see it, I'd be against any Latin-knowing pokemon.... except for maybe Arceus. :\

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession Shadowlugiasig

Lugia
    Admin

"It's amazing how hard someone will fight for their underpants."

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession Empty Re: Hidden Power, Language, and Possession

Post by Guest Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:13 am

Well....Oh, I see what you admins meant now. ^_^; I am sorry, I understand now. From your points it is true, the Pokemon world has very few connections to the Latin language, and there are no institutions or groups that really foster its use in the games.

You can just ignore the parts that talk about Latin then, Lugia. I shall not ask any further on the subject.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Even though I have dismissed the Latin questions, I still had a few questions on here that have gone unanswered. I am not pressuring--the other questions must have been merely overlooked.

>_< I added one other question in, for the sake of not making another topic--if that is fine. Also, my apologies for asking so many things, admins.
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Lugia Thu May 03, 2012 2:09 pm

It's still under discussion. : )

Lugia
    Admin

Post by Guest Thu May 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Ah, okay then ^_^
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun May 20, 2012 7:10 pm

Just a small question--are these questions still being discussed? I have no problem with waiting, but I was just curious.
    Mewtwo
    Mewtwo
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Mewtwo Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Derp. I thought they finished this. Let me bring it up to Sui and Lugia again.

Sorry dear.

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession 3Br5nS6

Hidden Power, Language, and Possession ZGD0iWwAdmin - Profiles, PlotHidden Power, Language, and Possession UugYyDK
    Un_kébécois
    Un_kébécois
    Ace
    Ace

Post by Un_kébécois Fri May 25, 2012 1:35 pm

If latin is a dead language, well, shouldn't the infected just speak in latin? LAWLOMGI'MSOAWFULATJOKESLIKETHESE.
    Mew
    Mew
    Legendary
    Legendary

Post by Mew Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:57 pm

Admins, any final word on this? It's been here for almost 2 months now.

Maintainence/Coding Admin
    Hidden Power, Language, and Possession Hz72hB2
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:25 pm

lol xD I was wondering the same thing, actually.
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Lugia Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:33 pm

There's been no real final say... But I'll go ahead and say this: I would be against an eevee with telekinetic powers, even with her hidden power. Reason being, hidden power is a destructive move, and as she is a normal type, she is not the kind of pokemon to be able to easily control that sort of power. Moving things is more of a skill rather than say exploding things with their mind. Instead of just all-out destroying something, you're manipulating it, utilizing different, more delicate skills.

Lugia
    Admin

Legendary
    Legendary

Post by Mew Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 pm

Permission to mark this as closed? Only asking because it may still be in discussion.

Maintainence/Coding Admin
    Hidden Power, Language, and Possession Hz72hB2
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Lugia Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:57 am

Permission granted.

Lugia
    Admin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:17 am