Welcome to New Johto;
This is what remains of the region after the virus hit.
Undead pokemon lurk behind every corner, infest every city, haunt every cave.
Dark Days are Ahead...
Will you survive?

Staff

Suicune
Founding Admin
staff
Founding Admin
admin
Profile Admin
staff
Harb Mgt. Admin
staff
Harb & Shop Mgt. Admin

Background art was made by Fox. The Banner was made by Silverishness. Show them some love, yeah?

Pokemon © Nintendo
EpidemicJohto © 2011
All names, characters, plotline and artwork are under copyright protection of Epidemic Johto and their respective owners.
No distribution or reproduction without express permission is permitted.

Support our staff!

4 posters

Magic in the Pokemon world

Moon Moon
    Moon Moon
    Ace
    Ace

Magic in the Pokemon world Empty Magic in the Pokemon world

Post by Moon Moon Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:59 pm

With the existence of Pokemon such as Mismagius that are described to have magical abilities aside from their typical moves, I was wondering if a character with the proper background might be able to know and use some spells. ( Limited of course)
    Min
    Min
    Centurion
    Centurion

Magic in the Pokemon world Empty Re: Magic in the Pokemon world

Post by Min Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Like incantations, rituals, summonings, etc?
    I'd wait for the final say from the admins, but personally I would doubt the allowance of it.
    Technically speaking, a Mismagius wouldn't really see a need to use human spells in the first place when they have powers of their own--not to mention that most 'true magic' requires several ingredients (sometimes hard to find) and either the spell read from a grimoire of sorts or memorized. If being read, the Pokemon in question would have to have the capacity to read in the first place, and even then whether or not they would know the purpose of the spell would be questionable.
    You're talking about Pinkanema, right? I think it would work for her to just use her ghostly powers instead, or perhaps imitate magic but not really do it or something, to make others think she's a 'gypsy'.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Here's my opinion, if it helps: A Mismagius's incantations are mostly psychological in nature. More importantly, Mismagi are said to cause hallucinations and feelings of euphoria with them (as said in their pokédex entries). Judging by previous comments on "magic" by the Admins, I don't think a mismagius can use actual spells.

.... but hallucinations that make it look like she is using spells? Maybe that could be possible? She could use incantations to manipulate the mind of other creatures -- you know, apply curses, cause someone to believe they are on fire, "summon" an Undead pokémon? Pokémon of high intelligence or of ghost-resistant typings could probably see through these illusions, of course. So the incantations' capabilities would have limitations. She could specialize her moveset with Psychic, Night Shade, Hypnosis (or whatever it is Mismagi learn), and the such in order to diversify these hallucination abilities.

But as for real spells, such as those in Grimoires, by using drug-based hallucinations, et cetera? It's interesting, but it sounds like it would definitely not work in the EJ canon. Of course, I'm not an Admin either so this is still just my opinion :b
    Lugia
    Lugia
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Lugia Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:05 pm

We'll discuss it.

Magic in the Pokemon world Shadowlugiasig

Lugia
    Admin

"It's amazing how hard someone will fight for their underpants."

Ace
    Ace

Post by Moon Moon Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:14 pm

I personally was thinking more along the lines of the chants that Mismagius are said to use (changing the enviroment, illusions exc.) along with the traditional alechemic recipes. I'd try to keep them somewhat weak to help keep myself from godmodding.
    Victini
    Victini
    Legendary
    Legendary

Post by Victini Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Since there's been no update for 3 months, I'm moving this to closed threads.

Magic in the Pokemon world VictiniMagic in the Pokemon world TGJeE
    The Victory Pokemon

Profile Admin & Team Sheet Manager

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 am