Welcome to New Johto;
This is what remains of the region after the virus hit.
Undead pokemon lurk behind every corner, infest every city, haunt every cave.
Dark Days are Ahead...
Will you survive?

Staff

Suicune
Founding Admin
staff
Founding Admin
admin
Profile Admin
staff
Harb Mgt. Admin
staff
Harb & Shop Mgt. Admin

Background art was made by Fox. The Banner was made by Silverishness. Show them some love, yeah?

Pokemon © Nintendo
EpidemicJohto © 2011
All names, characters, plotline and artwork are under copyright protection of Epidemic Johto and their respective owners.
No distribution or reproduction without express permission is permitted.

Support our staff!

Punctuation, Spelling, and Grammar Reference

Suicune
    Suicune
    Administrator
    Administrator

Punctuation, Spelling, and Grammar Reference Empty Punctuation, Spelling, and Grammar Reference

Post by Suicune Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:58 pm

Punctuation, Spelling, and Grammar

Introduction
    This is for our members' reference, in regards to how sentences are structured. Our RP is based on the creative writing skills of our members, and these are all points to remember when writing your RP. Please refer to here if you have any questions about punctuation or spelling, and if not answered here, feel free to ask for assistance from other members.

(From grammarbook.com)

Punctuation

Periods

Rule 1. Use a period at the end of a complete sentence that is a statement.
    • Ex1: I know that you would never break my trust intentionally.

Rule 2. If the last word in the sentence ends in a period, do not follow it with another period.
    • Ex1: I know that M.D. She is my sister-in-law.
    • Ex2: Please shop, cook, etc. I will do the laundry.

Rule 3. Use the period after an indirect question.
    • Ex2: He asked where his suitcase was.

Commas

Rule 1. To avoid confusion, use commas to separate words and word groups with a series of two or more.
    • Ex1: My $10 million estate is to be split among my husband, daughter, son, and nephew.
    • Ex2: He is a strong, healthy man.

Rule 3. Use commas to set off expressions that interrupt sentence flow.
    • Ex1: I am, as you have probably noticed, very nervous about this.

Rule 4. If something or someone is sufficiently identified, the description following it is considered nonessential and should be surrounded by commas.
    • Ex1: Freddy, who has a limp, was in an auto accident. (Freddy is named, which was the only information needed. Freddy having a limp is extraneous information that is not needed, but instead, there to describe him more.)

Rule 5. Use a comma to separate two strong clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction -- and, or, but, for, or nor. You can omit the comma if the clauses are both short.
    • Ex1: I have painted the entire house, but he is still working on sanding the doors.

Rule 6. Use commas to introduce or interrupt direct quotations shorter than three lines.
    • Ex1: He actually said, "I do not care."
    • Ex2: "Why," I asked, "do you always forget to do it?"

Question Marks

Rule 1. Use a question mark only after a direct question.
    • Ex1: "Will you go with me?" I asked.

Rule 2. Use a question mark when a sentence is half statement and half question.
    • Example: You do care, don't you?

Quotation Marks

Rule 1. Periods and commas usually go outside quotation marks, even outside single quotes.
    • Ex1: The sign changed from "Walk" to "Don't Walk", to "Walk" again within 30 seconds.
    • Ex2: "Hurry up," she said.
    • Ex3: "He said, 'Hurry up'," she said.

Rule 2. The placement of question marks with quotes follows logic. If a question is in quotation marks, the question mark should be placed inside the quotation marks.
    • Ex1: "Will you still be my friend?" she asked.
    • Ex2: Do you agree with the saying, "All's fair in love and war"?

Rule 3. Use quotation marks to set off a direct quotation only.
    • Ex1: "When will you be here?" he asked.

Apostrophes

Rule 1. Use the apostrophe with contractions. The apostrophe is always placed at the spot where the letter(s) has been removed.
    • Ex1: don't, isn't
    • Ex2: You're right.
    • Ex3: She's a great teacher.

Rule 2. Use the apostrophe to show possession. Place the apostrophe before the s to show singular possession.
    • Ex1: The boy's hat.
    • One woman's hat.

• Note that although names ending in s or an s sound are not required to have the second s added in possessive form, it is preferred.
    • [color=#919108Ex1: Mr. Jones's golf clubs.
    • Ex2: Texas's weather.[/color]

Rule 3. To show plural possession, make the noun plural first. Tag the apostrophe onto the word after the 's' that makes the noun in question plural.
    • Ex1: Two boys' hats.
    • Ex2; Two cats' paws.

Rule 4. The only time an apostrophe is used for it's is when it is a contraction for it is or it has. The possessive phrase for the pronoun 'it' is 'its', without an apostrophe.
    • Ex1: It's a nice day.

Capitalization

Rule 1. Capitalize the first word of a quoted sentence.
    • Ex1: "Treat her as you would your own daughter," he said.
    • Ex2: The guide pointed to a bird while explaining, "That is called a toucan."

Rule 2. Capitalize a proper noun/name.
    • Ex1: Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco.
    • Ex2: Hi Tom. This is my friend, Haley.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm