Welcome to New Johto;
This is what remains of the region after the virus hit.
Undead pokemon lurk behind every corner, infest every city, haunt every cave.
Dark Days are Ahead...
Will you survive?

Staff

Suicune
Founding Admin
staff
Founding Admin
admin
Profile Admin
staff
Harb Mgt. Admin
staff
Harb & Shop Mgt. Admin

Background art was made by Fox. The Banner was made by Silverishness. Show them some love, yeah?

Pokemon © Nintendo
EpidemicJohto © 2011
All names, characters, plotline and artwork are under copyright protection of Epidemic Johto and their respective owners.
No distribution or reproduction without express permission is permitted.

Support our staff!

+2
Suicune
Snitch
6 posters

Suggestion?

Anonymous

Suggestion? Empty Suggestion?

Post by Guest Wed May 09, 2012 1:16 pm

I know recently there has been a great issue with the level of a pokemon vs. the age/mentality of it. So i was wondering if it were possible for it to be written down in the Hatchery somewhere. Like at what ages what lvl would be appropriate.

Like If the pokemon was between the ages of 16-18 it would be around lvl 20-25. Or something along of those lines.

I know a few pokemon age a lot differently, but it would be helpful to know around what level a pokemon who is X years old would be so that we don't have to keep waiting for Mewtwo to revise it and tell us that the level is too high for that pokemon.
    Snitch
    Snitch
    Inactive

Suggestion? Empty Re: Suggestion?

Post by Snitch Wed May 09, 2012 1:25 pm

Hehe... ^^; I think that'd be really useful, actually. c:
    Suicune
    Suicune
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Suicune Wed May 09, 2012 4:01 pm

This is a hard area to outline, considering the many different species.

Concerning levels, it is generally accepted that low level pokemon would most likely be 'baby' pokemon. Anything below...12-15 I'd say is still a child.
    16-25 would probably be a teen, 26-35 an adult and 36+ is older adult.

Of course, there is alot of ambiguity here, because age does not always equal level.
    Some pokemon grow faster than others, and some train harder than others.

For example, you can have a pokemon that is say...13 years old in human years and be lvl 45, if they've had vigorous training.

And of course, there's the age issue.
    Pokemon, like normal animals, have different lifespans than humans.
    Some insects only live hours, while other animals, like whales or turtles, live for hundreds of years.
    So their maturity level/age reference would be different from us.
    40 years old to a turtle that lives 200 years would still be a baby.
    But to us, that's middle-age.

We can of course, attempt to clarify for these things, but it only adds to the rather lengthy bit of rules we already have.
    If we clarify age, we will probably have to with human years, to avoid any confusion.

Of course, this is just my opinion concerning levels and age.
    The other admins are free to state theirs, and if there's a conflict, we can resolve it.

Suicune
    Founding Admin

Nightfall
    Nightfall
    Centurion
    Centurion

Post by Nightfall Wed May 09, 2012 4:25 pm

That's exactly what's been causing confusion with me. I assumed that Pokemon were like animals and had different growth rates to humans. My Lucario Khan, for example, is 3 years old yet has the mental age of a 20 year old. Oliver is 3 months old yet behaves like a four year old human. Some clarification on this or a guideline of some sort would be awesome. It's confuzzling me. XD
    The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
    Silverishness
    Silverishness
    Centurion
    Centurion

Post by Silverishness Thu May 10, 2012 4:58 am

Why don't we just state age in human terms, not years? That's what I've been doing. Or, instead of putting the actual age, put it as a description. Like, Baby, Toddler, Child, Prepubescent, Adolescent, Young Adult, Adult, Aging Adult, Elder, Geriatric? It would bring some simplicity, so we don't have to deal with numbers. Of course, some rules might need to specify what category equals what age in human years, but still... I think it would help in the long run.

Suggestion? PCP637Suggestion? 635Suggestion? 196

Character Sheet Here

Gift Art Corner

Sil's ArtStop
    Commissions Open~!

Badges Earned:
    Suicune
    Suicune
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Suicune Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Yes, that would work Silv, thank you.

Suicune
    Founding Admin

Nightfall
    Nightfall
    Centurion
    Centurion

Post by Nightfall Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Oh yeah, that's much better! ^^ I'ma gonna try that.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat May 12, 2012 8:18 am

Just to throw my two cents on the matter, I tend to assume levels are completely different than age. Levels reflect battling experience, while age reflects physical maturity, so, by that point, it is perfectly realistic that an ancient pokemon may be level twenty simply because it was brought up in the lap of luxury without much battling.

Likewise, an adolescent pokemon could be at a later level because it may have been trained in battle from birth.

The only thing I think really has a "rule" is that baby pokemon are obviously at lower levels because they have simply not existed long enough to be very experienced in battle, even if they were trained from birth.

Really, I think level is more of a reflection of the history of the pokemon than their age in most cases, which is why I'm hoping that I can adjust Brim's level asap. Brimstone is an older pokemon who has basically lived in a life of battle between the underground battle pits he was involved in when he was still with a trainer and the constant fighting to maintain control over his territory later on in life. The fact he is in his forties level-wise isn't really that realistic considering that history of battle.

However, the above rule only really would refer to pokemon who do not evolve via level seeing evolution in most species is determined by level. When that factor is taken into account, level could reflect life experience as well. So, a pokemon who has grown up with virtually no battling but still exists in its most mature "adult" form would likely remain at the absolute minimum level to achieve that form, and would be very few levels above it, while a pokemon heavily trained in battle with likely be significantly above it.

So, for instance, pokemon that evolve rapidly by level (like caterpie -> butterfree) would be considered an "adult" at level ten, as that's the minimum level to achieve its final "adult" stage. This reflects that is has a rapid growth rate, therefore it is likely not nearly as experienced in life as a pokemon such as bagon, which achieves its adult form at a significantly later level (slower growth rate, and therefore a much more experienced grasp on life by the time it matures).

However, pokemon which evolve via stone or other items have a bit more freedom in that regard, as their original form could be considered adult. So, technically, it would be perfectly logical for a level 20 vulpix to be an "adult," because it may have lived a while without battling. Likewise, a ninetales could still be considered a baby, as it's possible the vulpix it came from was exposed to the radiation from a fire stone at a very young age.

That's just my sort of insight into the matter. I have an entire system worked out spread across various sheets of paper and a lot of notes and such for use in my pokemon headworld, but that's at least a brief, unrefined summary. In truth, the system offered by the games really only works well as a reflection of battling experience. The game was not developed to take into account pokemon ages (as in the games, pokemon seem to be basically "immortal"), so it's difficult to really develop a firm level = age correlation without excessive adaptation of the existing system.

Actually, likely what my answer to it will be is to craft two completely different leveling systems (the traditional one, and a maturation rate) to determine what stage a pokemon may take on at which time, which would make use of some of the attacks a pokemon learns at a level way before it should be at that stage, but that is likely too much bother to use here seeing levels are such a minor thing in this rpg in comparison to one like my headworld, where it is a trainer and pokemon rpg with a fairly heavy focus on battles.

....Sorry for the rambling xD
    Fox
    Fox
    Elite
    Elite

Post by Fox Sat May 12, 2012 2:27 pm

Fancy insight!~
    I like it.
    I agree with Lost, though I can see what Sui was saying.

In the games, you get a starter that's at a low-level. As you progress, it's an assumption that time passes alot faster in the game than in real life, because...well, if you play all day for one day, you could probably beat the whole game rather easily.
    And it'd be weird to have a 1-day old level 75. ^^;
    And you also have to consider the pokemon that are super hard to level up, but can still be done within days; like Lapras or Dratini.
    I would think it would take years to train those kind of Pokemon, because they're so hard to level and they'd probably live a very long life.

Hmmm...yeah...a bit confusing.

Considering their focus is on the Pokemon themselves most of the time, you would think they'd clarify on things like this. :3

"What's the point in them being happy now if they're going to be sad later?
    The answer is, of course, because they're going to be sad later."

Suggestion? 4j0L6

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:37 pm